We tried giving Colby cereal for the first time on Saturday (7/3/10). It did not go well. In fact, it went the opposite of well. More than anything I think its because we don't know what we're doing. For one, when the doctor said it was time to give him cereal, the first thing I thought of was Cheerios. Moira knew enough to know we needed infant cereal, which we went together to look at. Then I convinced Moira to get the oatmeal variety, because I like oatmeal. Apparently that was a mistake too, because they're supposed to start with rice. How are we supposed to know that?
The mistakes did not end there. We got some rice cereal and mixed it up when he was hungry and gave it a go. We shouldn't have done this when he was already hungry, as he was probably ticked off a little anyway. Then the magnitude of the change didn't really occur to us - that he had to learn to swallow, and use his tongue differently, and actually eat something.
So here's the video. Its not pretty. I'm happy to report that we tried again today and it went much better. We plan on trying bananas next weekend!
In happier news, Colby continues to enjoy many books. I caught him and Mom here as he was giving her big smiles. However, the camera has a red light that I suppose is intended to alert people to the fact that they are being recorded. The red light also demands Colby's attention, and whatever he was doing often ends when the light comes on.
Here I'm working hard for a smile in the back seat on our way to 4th of July activities. Colby smiles a lot, but as discussed above these smiles are increasingly hard to capture. He has started to laugh to - a distinctly different tone from his other noises. When he does his smile is so big his cheeks are wider than his face!
No comments:
Post a Comment